Breaking News: Australian gyms will close nation-wide from 12pm tomorrow, as well as pubs, clubs, bars, cafes and restaurants will also be forced to close – with only take away or delivery options.
Australians will not be getting much exercise in the coming months and socialising in-person will be off the table for most people as well.
Tomorrow thousands of businesses will need to close down and many thousands more will likely lose their jobs, as Australia goes into a lockdown.
The moves will be Australia-wide from Monday 23rd March at midday.
The specific places that must shut down at midday Monday are as follows:
Places of worship
Gyms and indoor sporting venues
Cafes and restaurants will be restricted to takeaway only
Funeral homes will have to enforce strict social distancing of four square metres.
More from the Prime Ministers office:
Premiers and Chief Ministers agreed to implement, through state and territory laws, new Stage 1 restrictions on social gatherings, to be reviewed on a monthly basis.
Australians should expect these measures to be in place for at least 6 months.
The following facilities will be restricted from opening from midday local time 23 March 2020:
- Pubs, registered and licenced clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues), hotels (excluding accommodation)
- Gyms and indoor sporting venues
- Cinemas, entertainment venues, casinos, and night clubs
- Restaurants and cafes will be restricted to takeaway and/or home delivery
- Religious gatherings, places of worship or funerals (in enclosed spaces and other than very small groups and where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies).
Its likely thousands of people across Australia will lose their jobs, as Aussies are banned form bars, restaurants, places of worship and gyms.
The measures were announced in a 9pm press conference by Scott Morrison and the Chief Medical Officer of Australia.
Over 1,098 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Australia, according to Australian Federal Government’s Health website.
More news as it comes to hand.